Not only can the personal injury lawyers and staff members at Carranza help overcome the language barrier, we can also assist with any cultural issues that may arise, including:
- Traditional versus modern medicine and conflicts about medications
- Informing loved ones of medical issues and facilitating discussions between rehab teams and key decision makers in the family
- Explaining body language and how its interpretation might affect your care
- The impact of religion on care, treatment and recovery
- Cultural stigmas surrounding shame, depression and isolation
- The importance of nutrition, diet and the use of herbal remedies
- How brain injuries affect the family, their social status and future possibilities
- Bridging the gap between a family’s beliefs and the Canadian healthcare system
real examples of cultural issues in a case
At Carranza, we understand how difficult it can be when English is not your first language. Cultural differences can often affect your case. Having the right representation can make a big difference.
views of authority
One of our clients grew up in a country where the police were corrupt and violent. He learned early in life to fear and obey the police without question.
In Canada, he was involved in a car accident. He was issued a traffic ticket at the scene for making an improper turn, even though the other vehicle had run a red light. The officer told him to pay the ticket, and the client obeyed even though he did not believe the accident was his fault.
In the resulting civil action for damages, the insurance lawyer argued that our client’s payment of the ticket meant that our client admitted responsibility for making an improper turn and causing the accident. Since we were aware of our client’s previous experience with police in his home country, we were able to demonstrate his deference to police and were able to settle the claim on the basis that the other driver was 100% at fault.