A former Provincial Prosecutor, Maria also ran her own firm prior to joining Carranza LLP. Her primary areas of focus are assisting persons injured in accidents, including motor vehicle accidents and slip and falls; as well as injured cyclists and pedestrians. She also assists persons with Canada Pension Plan Disability/Long-Term Disability Appeals and applications on behalf of victims of violent crimes before the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.
She dedicates a portion of her practice to issues that disproportionately affect the Filipino Canadian Community of Ontario, including Migrant Worker Rights Law.
She has a considerable amount of experience assisting temporary foreign workers and recent immigrants who have been injured in Canada, including Caregivers. Her knowledge of the unique challenges they face allows her to assist her clients in navigating the complex legal issues.
She has appeared before various courts and tribunals, including the Superior Court of Ontario, the Federal Court of Canada, the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, the Social Securities Tribunal and has even appeared before a Standing Committee at Queen’s Park in order to advocate on behalf of her clients.
- Co-recipient of the Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers Inaugural Social Justice Award (2012);
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association 2011 Outstanding Young Lawyer Award;
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association George Bonn Award for Best Cross Examination (2006);
- Cassels Brock & Blackwell Centennial Prize in Practice Skills (2006);
- John W. Whiteside Award (2006);
- Legal Aid Ontario Award (2006);
- University of Windsor, Faculty of Law Prize in Professional Ethics and Conduct (2006);
- University of Windsor, Faculty of Law Award for outstanding contribution to Legal Assistance of Windsor Law Clinic (2006);
- St. Jerome’s University Life Award (2002).
- Blog post: The new distracted driving bill - what you need to know;
- “The Good, The Bad and the Ugly: Pleadings in bad faith claims” The Litigator, December 2013/January 2014.
Testimonials from Clients
“She not only answered all of our questions thoroughly, but was able to explain to us all the complicated legal details in a way that was easy to understand. Many times, Maria went above and beyond what was required in order to meet our needs and ease any concerns we had.” S.W. and D.W.